Monday, November 5, 2012

Korea's First Cyclocross Race: A Big Win! 그리고 오랜만에 한국말로 브로그쓰기!

Saturday was the first ever cyclocross race held in Korea.  The race was called the Indy Festival and there was also a criterium held in the morning.  My day got off too a pretty rough start but ended really well.

In the criterium in the morning I was feeling pretty good and the race was setting up to be a field sprint.  I was in a good position sitting 3rd wheel going into the last corner with about 400m still to go but right after the last corner instead of opening up the spring the guy on the front just stopped pedaling.  I was in a bit of an akward position and decided to just start sprinting.  Unfortunately I ran out of steam and got passed by a few guys about 100m from the line.  However, my teammate Yeon Deok managed to hold on for 2nd place. 

After the criterium I rode around on my mtb a little bit and was going to preride the course when I remembered something was a little bit off with my shifting.  I took the bike to the neutral support truck at the race and the mechanic said he needed to bend the hanger a little bit.  However when he started bending it he ended up snapping it right in half!  With no spare hangar at the race I was in a bit of a bind but luckily our team sponsor Cannondale came through and let me borrow a brand new cross bike.  However I had to promise I would win the race! 

The race didn't follow traditional cross format and the at first we did a 10 lap qualifying race with the plan being to take the top 30 riders and put them in a 3 lap final.  I was excited about this because I tend to do really well in super short races.  The qualifier started out fast and I went to the front at the end of the road and got into the lead shortly after we hit the dirt.  I wanted to test the field and see how well everyone could do the barriers.  I was able to gap people on the corners and open pretty large gaps on the barriers sections.  After this I sat back and stayed with a group of about 5 guys until the finish.  We basically just pedaled around the course the next 9 laps trying to conserve our energy for the final. 

Going into the final I was excited and as soon as the gun went off worked my way to the front.  I attacked as soon as we hit the dirt and got a gap on the field.  I was worried about getting caught on the pavement but luckily I had 2 teammates in the chase group who were able to help slow it down a bit.  I really put the hammer down and was able to get a 30 second or so gap going into the last lap.  I wasn't taking any chances however and kept hammering to the line. 

It felt great to get my first win since early July at the F1 track race.  I've been doing cyclocross since I was 13 (I finished dead last in the 2000 Junior 13-14 nationals) and I was excited to get to use my skills here in Korea.  Hopefully next year there will be some more cyclocross races here.  The race promoters did a great job with the course taking a plain grass field and building some jumps, berms and bumps to make it a really fun course for everyone who raced. 

This weekend I will finish off my Korean racing season with a 50km mountain bike race in Gangjin.  The race is actually held near where I started my season back in April so hopefully I can close out the season with another good result! 


지난주 토요일에 나 김포아라벳길에서  한국에서 첫 사이크로크로스대회탔어요! 이대회 때문에 너무 신났어요 내가 좋아하는 크라이테리엄이랑 사이크로크로스있었어요. 
아침 부터  잘못된것 좀있었어요.  크라이테리엄  탈때 마지막 코너까지 잘탔지만  갑자기  앞에있는 사람 페데링 몸쳤어요!  400미터정도 남고있었지만 나 그냥 스프린트시작해야했어요.  100m 에서 힘이타썼어서  6등으로 피니쉬들어갔어요.  조금 더 기다려야했어요.   나 잘못탔지만 연덕형 2등했어요!  연덕형 스프린트 타이밍  원래잘해요.   
크라이테리엄대회 끝나고 사이크로크로스 준비시작했어요.  산악자전거  뒤디레이러 좀 이상했어서 Neutral support 메케닉한테 갔어요.  좀해봤지만  행어 불어졌어요!! ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ  나 대회 못 나갈거같았지만 우리 팀 스폰 산바다스포츠  캐논데일 사이크로크로스 바이크 비려졌어요!  비려졌지만 나 1등 할거야 약속해야했어요!  나 중일학년 부터 사이크로 크로스 대회 나가본쪽있었어 자신 좀있었어요 (2000년 미국 전국챔피언슆 나 막등했어요). 
CX 바이크 연습좀하고 예선 시작했어요.  예선은  30명할수있었으니까 나 힘 다 안썼어요.  그냥 6등으로 탔어요 결승 위에서.  예선탈때 나 다른 사람보다 달리기 하는부분 더 빨리 할수있어서  오프로드 부분에서 어택해볼거예요 했어요. 
결승시작!  나 도로 에서 조금 앞에타고 오프로드 시작할때 어택했어요.  뒤에 안보고그냥 열심히탔어요.  2바귀반 혼자탔어요.  도로 부분 너무 열심히타고 오프로드 도  열심히했어요.  마지막바귀 에좀 다른 사람 안봤어서 피니쉬에 좀 celebration 했어요!  나 약속 잡았어요, 일등!  그리고 내팀들  연덕형이랑 지행형이랑 나 좀도워졌어요, 뒤에그릅이랑 브로킹좀했어요. 

이번 대회 찐자좋았어요.  코스 도 너무 재미있었어요.  내년도 사이크로크로스 대회있으면 꼭 갈거에요!  산바다스포츠 도 너무 감사합니다! 

다음주는 내한국 시즌마자막대회예요.  김포 안가고 나 강진 산악자전거대회로 가요!  그리고 내시즌 아직안끝날거에요.  12월에 인도에서 투어두코리아 같은시합탈거예요.  12월까지 열심히타야해요! 

See these links for more pics and a race video.

http://www.bikem.co.kr/news/read.php?num=4232
http://yagirl.net/632
http://blog.naver.com/miao333/10151227082
Thanks Bike Magazine for putting on a great race.  Thanks to Ya Girl and Myo Jin 누나 for the great pics too!  


No comments: