Sunday, November 2, 2008

Big Plans!

Next year I am really excited to say that I am going to be riding for the RGF Solutions Cycling Team. (http://www.rgfsolutionssportsmarketing.com/) It is gonna be another development team. Turin decided that next year they will not be having an elite team and RGF stepped up to pick a few of us up. It should be a really great team look out for an announcement this week about the team in the cycling media. Paul Martin is our team manager and I am really stoked to have such an experienced and accomplished racer leading our team. I plan to do a pretty similar season to this year only with a few less races so that I can hopefully perform better in the late summer.
OK next I figured out what I am gonna do after I graduate in May! My major is Dietetics and with that you need to do a 1 year internship to become a Registered Dietitian which is credential that is needed to get most jobs involving nutrition. I was debating not doing the internship and just doing something fun but after talking to my professors, parents and others I decided that I should just do it because I might not be able to do it again later. Basically there are Dietetics internships all over the country that you can apply too and most last about 1 year. They are typically unpaid but they are basically teaching you how to be a dietitian. You spend a few weeks learning about food service, a few doing hospital dietetics, a few doing community nutrition programs and other things. Right now my top pick is a program in Peoria, IL. But unfortunately you don't find out until April if you got in! I could end up going somewhere else but at least I have a plan now!
Halloween was also a good time. I was a cowboy and kind of looked like Woody from Toy Story.

1 comment:

Jenny Westerkamp said...

Hello!

Your blog caught my eye and I wanted to let you know about All Access Internships, a website devoted to helping students during the search and application to dietetic internships! Check it out at www.allaccessinternships.com and let any of your undergrad/grad classmates know about this resource! We collect testimonials on intern experiences to, so please direct any past interns to our website!
I have listed off a few ways I thought you might be interested in getting involved in All Access Internships, since it seems as though you have a knack for helping out other students by contributing to your blog. Here are a few ideas:

1. Write a review of All Access Internships on your blog. Let your blog readers know about the resource and highlight a few features!
2. Share your experience in the internship and write an article for All Access Internships (go to GET INVOLVED-->SUBMISSIONS on the homepage)
3. Tell dietetics students/current interns about AAI (and submit a survey found on the home page)
4. Post a link to AAI on your blog
5. Be apart of the Student Involvement Program (going to GET INVOLVED-->JOIN US on the website)
6. Send an email to your DPD director telling them about AAI and encouraging to pass along the resource to their students
7. Let me know of any other resources available to students applying to DIs (great websites you found during your search and application?)
8. Any other ideas you have that could help dietetics students through this process. Katie (my partner) and I feel that the more students are able to use AAI and contribute to it, the greater the resource will become for future students, thus better preparing them for our profession!

Also, we are going to add a new section to RESOURCES called "Intern Bloggers". Would you be interested in having your blog listed here?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Jenny Westerkamp
Chief Operating Officer, All Access Internships